Monday, February 13, 2006

The in-laws are coming! The in-laws are coming!

DH's family will be here Wednesday evening. We've known about it for the past three weeks, but do you think the house is ready? Nooooooooooo.

Things to do today: buy presentable towels, buy more dishes, clean, clean, and clean some more. Oh yeah, and a trip to the grocery store might be nice.

Trying to sleep seven people in a house with only three beds and not one pull-out sofa is a logistical nightmare. I'm sure there are those of you out there who've had a house full of people and made it work. You might even thrive on all the activity and closeness. Not me. I'm fiercely protective of my privacy and need my space. Ask my kids.
It's especially difficult because we spent all weekend splitting them into separate rooms. No easy feat since they've been sharing a room for the past seven years in this house. It was like moving all over again, only with more toys. Gah.

**We thought we were going to be in for a struggle with the youngest, because he always likes to have someone in his room at night before bed, but he's adapted remarkably well. He got up this morning saying he now sleeps better even when he wakes up at night, because he doesn't hear his brother snoring. Snort!**

So now I've got both of them griping about giving up their "new" rooms. I'm trying to play the good role model mom and tell them how it's only for a week and we don't get to see the family much, blah, blah, blah. But deep down I know I'm a hypocrite, because I'd be griping my ass off if I had to give up MY room. I feel like such a bad & selfish person because I should be celebrating family. They're really nice people and I love seeing them. But they could visit any time, say spring break, when the disruption wouldn't affect the kids so much - like at school. I just don't want to deal with the crankiness.

Feel free to think bad things about me.


2 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel you pain Kimberlee!

We had 9 houseguests for Thanksgiving this year...it was a mad house.

Good luck, and keep a bottle of wine open (&pouring often)!!

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Kimberlee said...

Wine? Oh no, girl, I need something with more punch. LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home